Yes, closet paralysis is a common problem for many women. There are so many factors to take into account. Some women may be paralyzed by one of these factors and for others it is many factors combined, or different ones on a given day.
The 3 main factors when getting dressed in the morning to consider are:
- Where are you going that day?
- What is the weather like?
- What kind of mood are you in?
One big issue for many women is the closet overwhelm; they have too many items that are not organized well and perhaps no signature style. For this I recommend a closet purge.
1) Get rid of everything you don't love, doesn't fit well or is damaged. Only keep items that you feel great about wearing.
2) Make sure that only seasonally appropriate items are front & center. Try to stash out of season items as far out of sight as possible, as they only add to the confusion.
3) Then organize all the items by category, so that all your jackets are together, all your blouses are together etc. and you can actually see what you have.
I also recommend having a few go-to pieces or preferably outfits. So when you're feeling fat say, you put on your favorite jeans that you know are super flattering. Have a date or business appointment? Define a go-to dress or outfit that is a flattering color and fit.
Here are some other strategies that are recommended to women to help cure closet paralysis. Each woman should take note which, if any, of these methods work for her. It will not only help you put together outfits more easily, but will also help with your shopping choices.
1) The uniform - you wear standard shapes in varying colors or patterns
2) The capsule collection - small wardrobe of pieces that mix & match together
3) The set outfits that are only worn together- this one does not allow a lot of mileage per piece
4) Basics with a fabulous accessory to update and diversify the same outfit
are recommended for women that are happy to have a small wardrobe and don't get bored with their clothing
For the woman with the larger more varied wardrobe, this becomes a little more difficult. The closet purge and great organization are essential here. This wardrobe not only needs to have go-to pieces, but go-to outfits. If you don't have a signature style you need to make sure that the mood of the outfits go together. This includes, shoes, jewelry and other accessories. (This is a whole other article that I will share with you at a later date).
So ladies, spring is coming will you be paralyzed when you open your closet? Set up your spring Closet Rejuvenation with Stylempower NOW!
Need some help cleaning out your closet? You know, that is what we do best!
Let STYLEMPOWER help you.
Need some more personalized help with your wardrobe?
Contact Diane: email@example.com